The main house at Overbury in 1910
Overbury was established shortly after the First World War by Rupert and Laura Forbes, and by Rupert’s mother Geraldine. Geraldine had purchased the property in 1907, becoming one of the first Europeans to settle on Thetis Island. At first, Overbury was a poultry farm, raising chickens and collecting eggs for export to Vancouver Island. The rural enterprise was short lived as the Great Depression loomed and the CPR boat that transported the eggs to Chemainus ceased its weekly trip across the channel. Misfortune struck again as Geraldine died of cancer only months before The Overbury Poultry Farm became worthless overnight.
Before long, Rupert and Laura Forbes were forced, by necessity, to find another source of income. Rupert began by demolishing the buildings used for the poultry farm and erecting summer cabins with the salvaged lumber. These cabins still stand and are still occupied all summer long by guests who appreciate their outdoor, rustic charm.
Rupert and Laura lived the rest of their lives at Overbury, living to the ripe old age of 91 and 96 respectively. Of their three daughters, Josephine, trained as an Occupational Therapist, took over Overbury Farm in 1960 to run as a resort. Over the years she completed several essential repairs to the original farm house as well as several important improvements to the property. In 1984, she also built four modern cabins for guests. In 1990, Jo sold Overbury to her nephew, Norman Kasting, and his wife, Arlene, who have continued to make improvements and enterprise in the spirit of their predecessors.